New design! We used customer suggestions and feedback, our own experience working with our top bar hives, and the advice of master beekeepers to design redesign from the ground up one of our flagship products!
Our top bar hives are all crafted using FSC Certified, sustainable, clear-grain, local Douglas Fir. We find it to be the ideal wood for a top bar hive due to its strength and durability.
Clear grain Douglas Fir offers exceptional toughness, beauty, and value and its strength is a benefit to the top bar hive’s longer sideboards, and sizable shingles. Since Douglas Fir is among the heaviest and hardest softwoods, its dense composition compliments the light lifting of single bars of honeycomb (5-7lbs), versus the heavy boxes of the Langstroth and Warre hives.
Some Improvements to include:
- FSC certified sustainable, clear douglas fir
- Moulded legs can easily be installed and leveled and support 300+ lbs
- Roof that can hinge either direction
- CNC cut ends with ventilation
- Oval shaped side + end entrances cut to the same volume as a standard Warre entrance
- Black walnut entrance covers + window handle
- 28 19" douglas fir top bars match the length of a standard Langstroth frame
- 40" long hive body (all parts pre-drilled)
- 45" long hinged roof with shingled design for optimal rain run off
- 1 full length viewing window lets you see the bees throughout the entire hive
- Screened bottom board with stainless steel screen and two removable inserts to adjust ventilation
- Stainless steel screws
- Drill or screwdriver with Phillips bit
- Approximate assembly time: 60 minutes
Read more about our new top bar hives on our Top Bar Hive Frequently Asked Questions page.